• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pearl Harbor??

fightnjoe

folks i pipe up now and again about stuff, been looking at the various campaigns and then mssg'd moon puppy and now i ask you. any interest in a future event based around the attack of dec 7 1941?

joe

What are you looking for Joe, anything directly involved in the attack or anything that may have been in service at the time?

Kinda short in the armor department, but if you flyboys wanna take a crack, have at it.

mp here are my normal "rules"

•all military and civilian subjects are open for consideration provided they were in the hawaiian islands december 7 1941.
•all subjects must wear appropriate markings and colors for december 7 1941.
•all members of the japanese task force are open for consideration.
•the uss enterprise and any aircraft that was inbound to hawaii are open for consideration.
•either oob or superdetailed with a ton of am stuff is encouraged.
•subjects can be stand alone or dio form.

mike there were actually armor and artillery in the islands at the time. a company of "honey" stuarts and assorted caliber pieces and mortars. there was also one of the worlds two disappearing guns.

joe

and i did mispeak there are but two examples left (at least i think so) one is in the phillipenes the other (the hawaiian one) is now in bremerton wa i believe.

joe

and i did mispeak there are but two examples left (at least i think so) one is in the phillipenes the other (the hawaiian one) is now in bremerton wa i believe.

joe

You talking about some sort of coastal defense battery or something?

This is a cool suggestion! When ever it starts it should end on December 7th.

And Mike ships are just big tanks that float. :laugh:

Terry (y)

Terry (y)

terry what i have done in the past is the end is 7:55 a.m. the builders time dec 7. this is the general agreement as to when the first bomb fell, although there are some that feel it was more like 7:51 a.m. and some that feel the attack actually started with the attack of the ward on the midget sub. i try to start it july 26 as that was the day of the embargo on japan in 1941, this was the reason given by japan for such a drastic measure.

joe

Terry (y)

terry what i have done in the past is the end is 7:55 a.m. the builders time dec 7. this is the general agreement as to when the first bomb fell, although there are some that feel it was more like 7:51 a.m. and some that feel the attack actually started with the attack of the ward on the midget sub. i try to start it july 26 as that was the day of the embargo on japan in 1941, this was the reason given by japan for such a drastic measure.

joe

Seems to me the most logical time for it to end would be 9:55 when the raid was over. However we don't run our campaign timetables that close. July 26 to December 7th is possible.

:D

when i throw this idea out there on the various forums it gets tweeked a bit. in general what happens is the end result is something that works for most. i have had this event hosted on four forums at once. i have toned that down quite a bit. this year for example i did host it on two. it is ongoing in fact. when i introduced myself i stated my obsession with this. it is more to remember those who, in many cases, didnt even know they were at war when they died. i have met some of the vets from the attack, i have chatted with others over the phone and exchanged letters with others. they are passing and with them the memories pass.

joe

I'm reminded of the story of the fellow who picked up his shipmates and shoved them out the porthole that he was too big to fit through himself. I think there's a special place in heaven for him right now. Sorry, can't recall his name.

I think what triggered my interest in history was reading about Pearl Harbor and the events of that day. One other story I read was the rescuers were still hearing the trapped men inside the hulls up till Christmas but could not reach them in time to save them.

I know the Pearl Harbor stories from my Uncle is what got me started as well. Like the one about him almost being killed in the opening minutes by a strafing Zero, or getting burnt hands because of handling hot 3inch shells bare handed. Then when the ready lockers were empty how his shipmates hand carried 3 inch rounds up from the magazine to his gun crew because there was no power to the ammunition hoists. About the splinters whizzing by from the West Virgina and about being knocked flat when the Arizona went up. That turned me on to history. That was my Uncle Bob in the U.S.S. Tennesse December 7th 1941.

B)

when i high school i had a teacher who when we began the study of the early 40's and the beginning of the us entry into ww2 he handed out the japanese message to the task force. we were asked to try to break it. i didnt even come close. my interest for history started much earlier than that. i can remember watching pbs shows on hitler and ww2 subjects. my first book i remember reading was about the war in europe. i didnt really pick up the gauntlet until our class had survivors from the bataan death march come in. after hearing them and getting to talk to them i was changed.

joe

Back