• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry - Gunfighter45 - BRDM-2

Shifting gears after the BMP accident, putting another Soviet piece on the table.

DSC01318-R.jpg

DSC01320-R.jpg

Now back to the bench.......

Mike B)

Not sure on paint scheme yet....Soviet vacation in Afghanistan or a discarded toy from the Iraqi sandbox. I have some pics from
Aberdeen of one of the ones that was brought back in '91. Not sure if its the displayed one or not. The original paint was a wreck.

DSC01323-R.jpg

DSC01325-R.jpg

DSC01326-R.jpg

Nothing inside this one so I'm gonna button her all up. Far cry from the Trumpeter kit.

Mike B)

So, you will start adding the OTMM items? I thought their set was awesome back then and still do.

Before something ugly happens, make sure the tires are not snug and paint the wheels, wait a week until they are fully cured, before adding them back on. Otherwise, you may have the same problem I did, the tires split, causing me to replace them with resin (in my case from Panzershop).

PS35A305.jpg

Regards,

Thanks Saul, the wheels are just pressed together at this point... sanded them a bit to loosen them up some. I have heard to
many war stories of the tire blowouts on the Dragon BRDM / BTR kits. I may just go to resin and save a headache later.
The OTMM stuff is still top shelf as far as photo etch is concerned. Looks like I'll be able to use all but the headlight
bases and the sheet metal covers.

Mike B)

I remember we used to have a few of these on display in our army camp. :hmmm

Looking good so far :popcorn

Not sure on paint scheme yet....Soviet vacation in Afghanistan or a discarded toy from the Iraqi sandbox. I have some pics from
Aberdeen of one of the ones that was brought back in '91. Not sure if its the displayed one or not. The original paint was a wreck.

DSC01323-R.jpg

DSC01325-R.jpg

DSC01326-R.jpg

Nothing inside this one so I'm gonna button her all up. Far cry from the Trumpeter kit.

Mike B)

Uhm...I'm thirsty for some reason...

Cool little kit (that I know nothing about), what do those little wheels in the middle do?

Tom

:beer

seems catching...thirsty also. Something in the air maybe.

Oh yeah, the BRDM is coming along nicely

Well the story goes like this......

The middle wheels are chain driven and lowered by the driver for crossing trenches and/or rough terrain. In effect, an
eight wheeler. I have seen one shot of a BRDM crossing a trench on the Wikipedia site. Been hunting for some photos with them deployed
but they seem to be hard to find.

Tom, you must have picked up waves from the lubrication chamber............lol :drinks

Mike B)

UPDATE

Taking shape with the hull closed and starting adding the gingerbread. Grab handles, gun ports, periscopes
and the mufflers are up. Building one of these old kits makes you appreciate the new moldings as there is
a bit of reworking needed here.

DSC01327-R.jpg

Using the kit mufflers - file off the molded on heat shield and reshape the muffler.

DSC01328-R.jpg

Periscopes as molded.... :hmmm glass extends out from the housing ?? I'll shave them off and re-frame them.

DSC01330-R.jpg

DSC01331-R.jpg

Reshaped muffler ......

DSC01332-R.jpg

Mike B)

Back