• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry Skinny_Mike Ta-152C

Skinny_Mike

Hello - I've been looking for an excuse to start this kit and this is a for a great cause so, I'm gonna set aside the F-16s and get started.
This is the Hobby Boss Ta-152 C-0. I've got a few resin aftermarket pieces to use along the way. Here is my beginning photo...

Post11-1.jpg

I've made my donation. Now its time to start building! :woohoo:

See you next time.

Here is a quick update.
Looking over the kit, it seems pretty nice. No ejector pin marks to really clean up.
No flash and the detail looks pretty nice. There are a couple of things that I think I’ll end up fixing, but we’ll get to that.

So I started the build with the engine insert. Hobby Boss gives us the back quarter of the engine attached to a blanking plate.
This should be enough to give the idea to anyone looking up through the wheel wells. This assembly is made up of nine pieces total.
I assembled the engine, leaving off the metallic parts and got everything ready for paint.

Post21.jpg

All the parts are painted. The engine was painted Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black and giving a heavy dry brush in Tamiya Metallic Grey,
which unfortunately doesn’t show up real well in the photos. I painted the turbo charger in Alclad Steel and the starter motor
and the other piece in Alclad Aluminum.

Post22.jpg

And assembled

Post23.jpg

Post24.jpg

Well it’s started. Next step will be the cockpit. See you all next time!

That kit does look good, I've only bought one HB kit,
DSC_2160b.jpg

and very impressed with the level of detail and quality of the moulded parts.

Will watch your build and reports how that one goes, may be buying more of these kits!

Hey Guys – Back with another update. I am waiting on some stuff to come in the mail to replace some things that I didn’t like in the kit, so in the mean time I knocked out the propeller. This was another part of the kit that I didn’t like. The Ta-152C was armed with 5 cannons. Two 20mm cannons in the wings, two 20mm cannons in a tray in front of the cockpit and an engine mounted 30mm firing through the propeller hub. The spinner for the propeller did not match the photos I have seen of the real aircraft. So I pulled a new spinner that did match out of the spares box. This one came from an Eduard Fw-190D-9 kit and it seemed to match perfectly. The kit part is the smaller gray colored one and the Eduard part is in tan.

Post31.jpg

Unfortunately this new spinner did not match the rest of the kit propeller so I used one left over from the same Eduard Dora kit. (OK – just ot be honest, the propeller wasn’t “left over” – the Eduard Dora keeps kicking my butt! I’ve tried to build two of them and now they are both just paint donors. :sick: I’ll wait a little bit and then try again. That is a great kit, but it just keeps getting the better of me!) So anyway, I know that the D-9 and the Ta-152C had different propellers, but most people won’t and the quality of the Eduard parts are fantastic so I’m ok with the replacement.
So I painted the spinner white and then masked it using the Eduard spinner spirals mask set. The mask went down perfectly and then I sprayed on the flat black. Both the white and the black are Vallejo Acrylics. The prop itself was painted Xtracrylix RLM 70 Black Green and the hub is Alclad Aluminum.

Post32.jpg

Post33.jpg

And once it was dry I assemble the propeller. I think it turned out great. Now I just need to remember to enlarge the mounting hole for it when I get the fuselage assembled.

Post34.jpg

Started work on the cockpit tonight. Should have an update on that in the next few days.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome!
Mike

Unfortunately this new spinner did not match the rest of the kit propeller so I used one left over from the same Eduard Dora kit. (OK – just ot be honest, the propeller wasn’t “left over” – the Eduard Dora keeps kicking my butt! I’ve tried to build two of them and now they are both just paint donors. :sick:

I feel your pain...is that the same kit that's Pips Piller edition uses?

Prop looks fine. :pilot

Thanks for all positive feedback guys.

Moon Puppy - I'm not exactly sure which kit you are referring to, but the one that keeps beating me up is the Eduard Fw-190D-9! Which really stinks because its one of my favorite planes from WW2. But I've made a ton of notes about where to be careful and what I've done wrong, so hopefully I'll get the better of the next one! :fencing

Mike

You can always try a Classic Airframes Do17 Z !! :D

I'll let you know what I think of this one when I build it/them!
DSC_2161b.jpg

now if anyone is scared.........
DSC_1507x1.jpg

it has to be me!!

Priller kit that I know of is this one
DSC_0462a.jpg

Just enjoy your builds Skinny! and get into that 152C ! :drinks

Back