• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

bob letterman

Working w/Pastels, a lost art Update 11/26/2019

Working with Pastels, a lost art?

Thanks Bob! I have never messed with pastels though I have heard of and seen some work done with them.

Thanks Dad or this. My biggest issue is selecting the colors to go work with, never know what to grab.

This is a timely article Bob as I was just puzzling today in the shop on how to weather the tires on my LRDG Command car. I'm painting it for a B&W vignette and all my pigments are Earth colored...but I'd forgotten about my pastels...just happened to have gray ;)

IMG_20180520_180633714-600x1067.jpg

That was a very informative and useful article, Bob. Thanks for writing it in a manner for those who have never used pastels before. I've only used powdered tempera paints and pigments for weathering so far, but I can see how the greater variety of colors that pastels can provide can be better for most projects. I will have to get some and give them a try.

Cheers,
James

Great article. I remember starting out with pastels in 1977, I think I still have a few floating around the supply closet!

Not a lost art on my bench.

Great article!

B)

Thanks Bob! I have never messed with pastels though I have heard of and seen some work done with them.

Paul, there is nothing I have illustrated in this tutorial that couldn't have been accomplished in other ways. Over the years, I always try the new ways, (Some of them are "new" in name only), and occasionally, I'll try something if it works better for me.That, to me, is the key! If it worked better for me. Nobody is alike and different techniques work better for different people. I just happen to prefer this one for it's simplicity, it's cost effectiveness, and, after not using it for years, you don't have to spend months relearning it.

Bob

Thanks Dad or this. My biggest issue is selecting the colors to go work with, never know what to grab.

You're more than welcome son,

Yeah, colors are always a major issue, whether it is in enamels, acrylics, artist's oils, washes, filters, pigments or pastels. I'm beginning to use more inks as I go along for fine detailing. Same problem there. Many times I go with a color that compliments, not necessarily contrasts with the base coat, but then, there's always exceptions.

Dad

This is a timely article Bob as I was just puzzling today in the shop on how to weather the tires on my LRDG Command car. I'm painting it for a B&W vignette and all my pigments are Earth colored...but I'd forgotten about my pastels...just happened to have gray ;)

IMG_20180520_180633714-600x1067.jpg

Thanks Jeeves,

Glad i could help! A B&W vignette? Sounds interesting!

Bob

That was a very informative and useful article, Bob. Thanks for writing it in a manner for those who have never used pastels before. I've only used powdered tempera paints and pigments for weathering so far, but I can see how the greater variety of colors that pastels can provide can be better for most projects. I will have to get some and give them a try.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James,

If you've used pigments, pastels will seem very familiar after you have turned them into powder!

Bob

Great article. I remember starting out with pastels in 1977, I think I still have a few floating around the supply closet!

That's stretching the dollar. (y)

I never have a problem doing that! Especially these days. It seems like prices have literally doubled since I retired 10 years ago!

Not a lost art on my bench.

Great article!

B)

Why does that not surprise me Terry? :)

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Good article :good:

Still a strong believer of pastels.The pastel way was the best way and still is today. (y)

Started using the pastels way back in 1997 and never looked back. Still have the original boxes. :eek:hmy:

The pastels are shared with the latest and greatest fad of washes released by different companies.

Blending the pastels at the last stage of the build.After the washes and the flat clear and the oil paint filters, have I missed anything. :laugh:

Providing the pastel dusty appearance is by far one of the best forms of creating realism in depth: 1/35th scale

Michael

Michael, As I've watched the hobby evolve, sometimes some good things are phased out. Maybe they are no longer considered high tech, but I still find times when they work better than with newer techniques.

Bob

:good:
Will surely come back and study this closer, great info

I will also be re-reading this over and over. I tried pastels in the past but could not get them to look right. Hopefully this tutorial will help me gain some semblance of proficiency with them.

I will also be re-reading this over and over. I tried pastels in the past but could not get them to look right. Hopefully this tutorial will help me gain some semblance of proficiency with them.

Sometimes trial and error works out in the end!

Bob

Back