• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Rolling Stock Completed April 18th, 2020

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
Bob Letterman said:
Hi all,

I have decided to consolidate all my threads involved with the large diorama, Logistics, into five specific ones. (1) The base and buildings, (2) the soft skin vehicles, (3) the armor vehicles, (4) the Rolling stock including the trolleys and (5) the figures. I will leave all the old threads where they are, but I will post the original topics here. Sorry, to include all your comments/responses would be way above my pay grade. When I do an update from now on, I will put them in the new threads. This topic will eventually include ALL railroad models/K-5 railway gun and trolleys in the diorama.

First, the old topics.

Another vehicle for the next diorama will be a locomotive, tender and a RR Gun. I have the locomotive and tender complete up to the point of painting and weathering, and the RR gun is barely started with one of the trucks ready to paint. This is, of course, the Trumpeter kit. I had originally built the Tank Workshop kit and when this came out, discovered that the TW kit was almost twice the size of this and really out of scale!

BR-521copy.jpg

BR-523copy.jpg

Here is the BR-52 with base coat. The first two are normal photos, the third enhanced with brightness in Photoshop. The next step will be to lighten some of the larger areas with black plus some khaki drill, Humbrol matt 72, then to the detailing.

BR-52a.jpg

BR-52b.jpg

BR-52c.jpg

This will be on the tracks of the train station cutaway w/tender and K-5 railway gun. More to come later
Hope you like it!

Bob

Last edited:
Re: Logistics, My New Diorama, The BR-52/K-5E RR Gun

You know, I likely moved this from the old forum, I dont' know. But I sure don't remember this being posted. Don't suppose we can get some more pictures of it now...hmmm???

Re:Logistics, My New Diorama, The BR-52/K-5E RR Gun

Thanks, MP, I haven't went any further or I would.

Be patient, please, I will!

Bob

Aha! So your secret is to not add all the Brass and wood aftermarket crap I bought! No wonder yours is built while mine laughs at me sarcastically from the stash. I swear it even sticks its tongue out at me from time to time just to taunt me that I don't have the guts.

Nice looking. the last photo looks like a CAD image. What new company is this?
:pp

Regards,

Actually Saul,

I build things in weird ways. I have a ton of brass parts that I will use, but, I wanted to complete all the work behind the running gear and chassis under the boiler, as I thought it would be difficult to paint and especially weather after the model was complete.

It is the, (Now, almost old), Trumpeter kit. The only thing I did to the last photo was lighten it up in photoshop. It was taken with the same camera at the same time as the others.

As for laughing sarcastically and sticking it's tongue out at me, I have the 1/35th scale Dora that does that to me1 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
As for laughing sarcastically and sticking it's tongue out at me, I have the 1/35th scale Dora that does that to me

You too?

:whistle:

Yep! for more than a year now!!

Hell, I haven't even opened the box to look at the parts. I need help to carry the damned thing! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

Re: Logistics, The Rolling Stock update 2/23/18

Haven't worked on this section for awhile. Here are two more for this one. I will have a powered unit and a slave unit on the back street of Logistics, fairly damaged but not total wrecks. The model is the box art I've been carrying around for years and a little beat up. It will be the slave unit. The new one in the box will be the powered unit. I intend to cut the windows out of Microscope slips. They look so much more realistic both broken and intact as they are really glass'

TrolleyfoMA.jpg

Also, I have one of the trucks built for the K5E rail gun that will be behind the tender and locomotive in the cut away train station in the front of the diorama.

K5ERailGun.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

Re: Logistics, The Rolling Stock

HOLY CRIPES!!!!

Bob Letterman is doing Leo!!! IS that the big one?? 1:32 scale one?

Re: Logistics, The Rolling Stock Update 4/24/11

love the tramcar and seeing your magic on the k5 will be super! i'm looking forward to the progress so much!

The BR52 is looking good, nice build. I have also both kits but the still in the box. For the BR52 I've got some upgrades from LZ Models, because the Trumpeter kit is not always right.

Hope to see more ...
Johanna

Thanks guys, the locomotive, tender and the K5E rail gun will be under the cutaway train platform under the canopy. In this picture, you can see the first carriage of the RR gun behind the tender.

shedccopy_copy~0.jpg

Bob

Bob things look a lot different then when I first saw this view years ago at VLS. Back then the loco was a resin kit. Looks great!!!

Terry B)

BoB ,

All I can say is ... DYNO-MITE :ro: :ro: Somehow the word AWESOME just doesn't come close to describing this Dio !! Magnificent & that's an Understatement !! :ro: :ro: :ro:

Bob things look a lot different then when I first saw this view years ago at VLS. Back then the loco was a resin kit. Looks great!!!

Terry B)

Yeah, that was the old Tank Workshop kit Terry, It was about 1/28th in real scale! Waaaaaay to big!

Bob

BoB ,

All I can say is ... DYNO-MITE :ro: :ro: Somehow the word AWESOME just doesn't come close to describing this Dio !! Magnificent & that's an Understatement !! :ro: :ro: :ro:

Gee, glad you kinda liked it,

Thanks man,

Bob

Whew, finally finished something on this thread! This is the Custom Dioramic's Trolley. The original pattern was made by Ben Jacobsen, IMO, one of the very best! It went together like a plastic kit, perfect fits throughout. I added the glass, mostly shot up. I have seen this built by a couple of the big names in modeling. Both beautiful jobs, but.... I'm not a real picky guy, but safety glass has been around long before WW II. Both those trolleys had jagged glass shards like those in your house windows would break. Especially all public transportation vehicles had safety glass when this was in service. As you know, safety glass is two thin plates of glass with a clear polymer plastic sandwiched in between. When it breaks, the plastic holds it together. Otherwise, accidents would have a lot more fatalities than they do. When a bullet goes through them, they look much like a spiders web. I've put my share of them through the rear windows of cars I was chasing way back when I was a cop.

I did these with only an exacto knife. Just made holes, then made starbursts with the knife, then uneven concentric circles expanding out.

Trolley01.jpg

I added a lot of detail to the roof electrical system. I found some European trolleys on the web and kinda scratched and/or used similar parts from the scrap box. (And a little gizmology!) If one of you guys is an expert on European trollys of the forties, specializing in the power conducting units, Then excuse me all to hell! :pp Without this, it looked way too plain.

Trolley02.jpg

Trolley03.jpg

I used various data plates and other signage both inside and out from a box I keep those types of things in.

Trolley04.jpg

Trolley05-1.jpg

Trolley06.jpg

Trolley07.jpg

Trolley08.jpg

Trolley09.jpg

I'll be finishing off the locomotive and coal car soon. The railway gun is started but quite a bit to go. This trolley will have power poles on either end with the wires resting on the upper contact.

Bob

Back