• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Practice, Practice, Practice…Sherman

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
I would have to say that my weakest area in scale modeling is the painting and weathering. So, I decided to devote some time in honing my skills in these areas. I just finished the construction phase of the following four kits. They are mostly OotB with added stowage. The Stuart kits were missing the main gun for some reason so whipped up replacements from styrene tubing.

h3adf3e5.jpg

First up is the M3 Stuart. She is all primed up with Mission Models premier in black.

hb2edad4.jpg

h54e247a.jpg

h8612663.jpg

Practice, Practice, Practice…

What do you think of the Mission Models paint?

Practice is a good thing. :good:

Mission Model Paints....Are....Awesome (y)

There are two big reasons why I moved to Mission Model Paints (MMP)

-Firstly is the non-toxic nature of the paints which is a huge benefit. If you check out the pictures of my Airbrushing aera in my Introduction Thread, you will notice that there is no fume extraction system emplaced as its not really needed.

-Secondly MMP are very forgiving. Even if you have limited experience airbrushing paints, like I do, you'll get good results right from the start.

I would point out that it is absolutely necessary to use MMPs preparatory thinner. Not only for the thinning of the paint but also cleaning out your AB. I tried other thinners to clean with and while they worked they have a tendency to turn the paint into a gooey mess, especially their primers. It does not take a lot of MMP thinner to clean so your not wasting a lot of it on that task. Once the AB is clean I flush it with water as the last step.

There is a little bit of a learning curve, mostly regarding the thinning ratios and PSI but that is easy to figure out. I suggest that if are using MMP for the first time that you follow the instruction pamphlet that you will receive with your first order. After and few practice sessions you will have feel on how best to thin MMP and at what PSI to your style of painting.

Check out this linked article for a great review and guild about MMP. (https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/mission-models-acrylic-paints)

So the bottom line is I'm liking MMP and would strongly recommend them to everyone!

Good to know, may work some in in the near future. B)

Nice builds. I look forward to watching your practice progress through to the end of the painting process.

Just might have to give those MMPs a try.

Cheers,
James

I did manage to get in a little Practice in this past week. Laid down the base colors and applied the markings such as they are. First color was a faded OD and after it fully cured I added the serial numbers on the side of the hull. After that I over coated with a faded Russian green allowing the serial numbers to show through faintly. Hand painted the slogan which I think is "For The Homeland". Finished it off with futur to seal in all in, though not really sure if that was needed. Paints used are from Mission Models and the slogan was painted using True Earth SDW paint line.

hd05b14d.jpg

hc56d032.jpg

I did manage to get in a little Practice in this past week. Laid down the base colors and applied the markings such as they are. First color was a faded OD and after it fully cured I added the serial numbers on the side of the hull. After that I over coated with a faded Russian green allowing the serial numbers to show through faintly. Hand painted the slogan which I think is "For The Homeland". Finished it off with futur to seal in all in, though not really sure if that was needed. Paints used are from Mission Models and the slogan was painted using True Earth SDW paint line.

hd05b14d.jpg

hc56d032.jpg

Looks like the Future darkens and kinda blends everything back in. Neat idea about the S/Ns :popcorn

If you have no decals I would just give it a flat clear coat. Overall it looks real good! Keep on keepin" on! :good:

Hi All :Hiay

Got some Practice in last week and especially today with all the rain here in South Carolina. So the stuart has a coat of oil paint filtering and the first pass of a pin wash, that's why it looks a bit crapy. :huh:

On the turret I did a more in depth weathering to get a general idea of where I wanted the finial look to end up. But still aways to go before calling it done.

Comments always welcome...Thanks for stopping in for a look.

h1bc68df.jpg

h9e016d4.jpg

hfc8ca32.jpg

h61a9c4d.jpg

h96f299f.jpg

Back