• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Marder IIIM * *DONE* *

ij001

Weird the random thoughts that occur to you and were you are when it happens, right ? - sitting at the traffic lights in-town this lunchtime and realised that in forty-eight years of building plastic models, I have NEVER completed a German WWII vehicle, not once, been pretty close, but never actually finished one.

he43af8a.jpg

So… time to change that, I think. I bought Tamiya’s Marder IIIM (35255) a couple of weeks ago, and have made myself a promise… this time I’m going to finish what I start.

Please stick with me as this could take a while, but this time, this time I’m going ‘all the way’.

Ian.

Marder IIIM

Thanks guys, unfortunately juggling work with the 'little stormtroopers' being off school for two weeks on Spring Break, which means any meaningful bench-time is both rare and illusive just now.

:bang head

Ian.

Marder IIIM

Ok, going to break this down in to two or three posts as quite a lot has happened (in sort bursts). After assembly I left the major sub-assemblies and  component parts of the fighting compartment off the hull so I could paint and weather them.

Prep'd with 'NATO' black:

UDucCZi.jpg

YD1eEIt.jpg

Then mixed my own Dunkelgelb (roughly, 60% Tamiya 'Dark Yellow', 25% 'Buff', 15% 'Chromate Yellow'):

t96kJM4.jpg

C8G11pD.jpg

zzzoz52.jpg

Chipping with (again) my own mix of Tamiya's, incidentally the same mix I use for the basic tank tracks colour.

4LP4W4K.jpg

UIzWi6t.jpg

B14bezd.jpg

More in a minute.

Ian.

Marder IIIM

Looking good so far! I built Dragon's command version of the Marder III a few years ago, the Befehlsjager, and it makes for a very nice vehicle.

Marder IIIM

The next thing was two light coats of Johnsons Klear / Future / Pledge which changed the tone a little but was needed to help with the washes. I started with Flory's 'Dark Dirt' which I simply worked into all the corners & recesses were all the cr*p, oil and general filth would be [naturally] pushed.:

PUwHzf5.jpg

oOhwP4f.jpg

Later-on I also carefully added a pin wash just to enhance the shadows around the numerous raised bolts, shelves and especially the breech mechanism of the gun. Unfortunately when I took the photos, I completely forgot to take one of the gun, so you're going to have to use your imagination ! :bang head

Next I mixed some white, brown & ochre oil paint to make a light buff tone which I dry-brushed into the top third of the shields to lighten the tone and try to simulate where the sun & weather would have 'bleached' those areas. Couple of jobs before attaching the gun, storage, storage bins, shields etc. I placed a few dots of Raw Umber oil paint with a cocktail stick and drag them to simulate rust streaks from the major chips. And lastly a good dusting of the horizontal surfaces with a couple of different Mig pigments to make it properly dusty, dirty workplace.

XyivCIO.jpg

VupetSg.jpg

As this is written, the shields are all in-situ, and I'm ready to mask off the fighting compartment ready for priming, pre-shading and painting the hull. Busy weekend coming-up, and the little stormtroopers are off school for another week yet, so once again any progress will be' 'evenings only' and therefore slow and rare. Ahh well, it's just modelling and not brain-surgery. Thanks as ever for the comments, please feel free to criticise or question. Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

Marder IIIM

Paint has occurred:

hc052631.jpg

he76f72b.jpg

h7e8e97f.jpg

h8bbfc09.jpg

h62ed314.jpg

h8224b6a.jpg

h0f209e6.jpg

As with the Cromwell I would really value and appreciate all your comments and feedback. Thanks in advance folks.

Ian.

Marder IIIM

So great Ian!...great control on the airbrush work...liking it so much!... congratulations :eek:ldguy

Luiz.

Marder IIIM

Looking for some ideas and opinions please folks (yes I know everyone has one and I may be opening a flood-gate)... I'm not too experienced with the enamel filter method, I know what it is, I know how it can be applied and I know what the idea behind it is. So, I have in the past achieved the same blending & harmonizing of basic tones by simply adding a tiny drop of paint into a clear coat and spraying overall - the Sherman Firefly I built about 18 months ago.

Any thoughts as to the 'advantage' of the filter method... Really would like to get your feedback and experiences. Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Marder IIIM

Decals and an 'earth brown' filter.

ZdkqcHF.jpg

s1HgAlY.jpg

Ready now for washes & weathering (layer by layer). Thanks for all the interest & comments so far.

Ian.

Back