• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I'm going Japanese

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit, I have been in a modeling funk for a while. No reason but I need to snap out of it. So what better way to snap than to build a Tamiya

h3eaa443.jpg

As you can see I haven't even opened the box yet, no idea what's inside. No money in it, won in raffle.

What scheme you ask? How about abandoned on the beach of Marcus Island.

When my Dad was on his way back from Korea his flight stopped on Marcus Island (now known as Minami-Tori-shima) for refueling. I guess they were given a tour of the island because he got a couple of shots of the place.
3-19-2006-35.jpg

3-19-2006-39.jpg

I'm going to try and build this.

3-19-2006-41.jpg

We had some debate in the family rather this was Midway or Marcus island, since the Japanese never landed on Midway, how would Japanese tanks get there? Not to mention this doesn't even look like Midway island.

I know this is not the same type tank but what the hey...git'er done.

Yes, I intend to build a base for it also.

Believe it or not, Dragon has a really nice kit of the Type 95, from the photo, and even better of the Type 97 (same as Tamiya). Excellent subject matter!

Regards,

Believe it or not, Dragon has a really nice kit of the Type 95, from the photo, and even better of the Type 97 (same as Tamiya). Excellent subject matter!

Regards,

Thanks Saul, I have researched the type in the past, don't have one in my stash and kinda wanna do a shake and bake, not get too caught up in construction. This will be neat to do some rust, layer effects.

Not bad for a couple of hours.

Beat up the road wheels, no one doing maintenance on this thing so the wheels have to get bad right?

he2565c6.jpg

h6480eeb.jpg

h981c7aa.jpg

Everything dry fitted right now. Gotta figure out my plan of attack on the paint. No open hatches since I have no interior, just some hatches barely cracked...

Wow, has it really been almost two weeks since I bumped this?

So I came into possession a big bag of Mig Ammo paints and primers. One of them is Japanese Armor. I got the primer, thinner and all. I sprayed some primer this evening on the lower hull, did ok, not sure i needed to thin it. It beaded up a bit, I'll try it straight tomorrow and see if it does it then.

A big bag, eh? ;) So, I've had mixed results with the acrylics too and went looking for answers. I found this, it does answer some of the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyte6l1Gokw

I met Jose Rodriquez, the USA representative for AK Interactive recently and was asking him about the issues I have been having. I firmly believe the acrylics are freezing somewhere along the line and that is what's causing them to gum up the air brush or not spray smoothly. He agreed that could cause a problem, hoping he will pass it along and maybe get it resolved, I sure like many things about these types of paints.

Rumor has it there's a rat in the garage...

(y) :drinks

Hey, here's some photos.

I'm trying to use mostly the Migs Ammo paints to test them out, so far they are great, guess they never froze.

ha3f156a.jpg

Radiator will be just under the rear louvers, not sure how much can be seen so figure get this shot before installing. Primer, Brown, dry brush some copper pigment out of the Alclad bottle, some layers of rust colors, Chipping fluid then the interior green (I don't know if that's the color the Japanese used in the engine bay, not really concerned about it.) Chipped it up then some dark wash and another layer of rust.

I think it turned out pretty dang good. :hmmm

hf490ad0.jpg

I'm removing weapons, main gun and the machine guns are drilled out, it's a defanged dragon. :evil:

I'm leaving off pioneer equipment, and other tools, they have already been salvaged.

h3fb7d84.jpg

I tried to prop one of the hatches on the hull just barely open, to give a hint that it has been gutted but still closed up, but it would seem the hatch closed on it's on. :idonno

Anyhow, I think most construction is done, might have some more holes to plug. Primer tomorrow. :soldier

Back