• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M24 Chaffee * * D O N E * *

ij001

Had this in the stash for years, so decided to start it after the M18 Hellcat this time last year, but as is usual for me I found another bright'n shiny thing and got distracted !

h2846cdc.jpg

h34795af.jpg

h726eb00.jpg

hb9a883f.jpg

So as in each of these three l-o-n-g builds I'm trying something I've never done before, in this one, I'm going to try two new techniques - the 'Hairspray method' and a temporary whitewash / winter finish. Not a new technique but also going on to this build is (another) Verlinden resin stowage set - but as this is mostly generic it's not really worth mentioning.

More as-and-when.

Ian.

M24 Chaffee (Long build 3)

ha00f155.jpg

h5aab8dc.jpg

First time using Mig acrylics. This is what one light coat of Dark OD base looks like over the satin black base coat. WOW, I could very quickly become a fan-boy of this stuff if the rest spray this nicely !

Ian.

:popcorn

Did you use Ammo of Mig?

Hi Jeff...

Yes I have, that's is part of the 'experiment' with this build - first time using Mig acrylics, first time using hairspray method. Have to say, they are so d*mn easy to spray, as long as you go in the recommended two or three thin coats. There's just one here (A-925 OD Dark Base), but I'll also add the lighter A-926 OD Base before decals and clear coat.

Get y'self a couple of bottles and have a try if you haven't already.

Ian.

926 OD Base added in just one thin coat. Markings are 'Star' Decals' & kit ones for a 3rd AD vehicle supplied 'fresh' in late January & February 1945 after the Battle of the Bulge.

h6de407d.jpg

h9d61d80.jpg

Glossed with Tamiya clear straight from the 'rattle can'. Will leave it for a few days now to totally cure before applying the hairspray & 'whitewash'. Please feel free to comment, question and critique.

Ian.

Back on the bench: :soldier

hc539744.jpg

h1ab1d5d.jpg

First time using the 'hairspray technique' PLEASE let me know what y'all think. Thanks all, have a great weekend, best from Middle Earth.

Ian.

Washes done, tracks on...

h1969b4d.jpg

h94be96d.jpg

...next stowage. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments at all. Have a great weekend folks, more next week hopefully.

Ian.

For this build ? - :soldier stowage, lots of it, because the idea is to do it in 'road march' configuration. May step out of my comfort zone and add a couple of figures and make it into a vignette. Not completely committed to that idea yet.

Ian.

Placing stowage:

he62b0c8.jpg

ha4a8094.jpg

And how it looks right now - Pigments applied, tarps placed, 95% of the stowage done.

he0036b8.jpg

h5ac6e7d.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment folks. Have a great weekend and hopefully I will be finishing this-off next week.

Best from Middle Earth.

Ian.

Back