• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Easy 8' * * D O N E * *

ij001

Side-by-side with the 'Isherman' is the Tamiya M4A3E8 - my word what a fantastic kit !. I know Terry built one a few months back and I remember him commenting on the quality of the engineering... truthfully folks, it has to be seen to be believed. I did manage to completely eliminate the joint at the rear of the turret bustle and added / enhanced the rough-cast effects on the gear box & turret using the glue & stipple method, which has come-out really nicely.

So it is at exactly the same stage as the Academy kit, but the difference between the two projects is the amount of 'extras' I'm going to add to this one.

h2d6e010.jpg

h3902d8c.jpg

Originally I planned on finishing it with a relatively light amount of stowage, and in an OD & black camouflage, however, the guy I bought it from threw-in a (huge) resin stowage set and some Mig paints (I've never used them before) and I found a great decal sheet for very late war overall OD 6 A.D. vehicles with large numbers, unit badges etc.

hfc74b6a.jpg

Also, when we moved house in February, I found a hoard of 1:35 figures from Nemrod, Dragon & Verlinden, so why not s-t-r-e-t-c-h myself a little and try to add them either into the vehicle or in a wee vignette. Hence it's now a much bigger and by extension, more time-consuming project. New paints (I also ordered the OD modulation set from Mig), acres of resin stowage and figures... Yep this could take a while.

Stay tuned and as ever feel free to hurl abuse, ask a question or make a comment.

AFN

Ian.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

I bought one of these a while back to do a conversion to the M74, which means most everything above the tracks will not be needed. Probably another case where I take an easy kit and turn it into a hard one :soldier

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Probably another case where I take an easy kit and turn it into a hard one :soldier

That is what is happening with my 222 build.
duh.gif

This is looking great Ian! The vigantte idea is good and we have the "Dad" of all dio builders to give inspiration on Shermans.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Like the Chaffee, the E8 is also wearing a single coat of Mig's Dark OD but this time over some pre-shading:

hd324a1c.jpg

he41055c.jpg

This will be my first serious attempt at modulation but before all of that silliness, I need to load-up this baby with a LOT of stowage as I want to build it in 'road march' configuration.

Ian.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Paint & modulation all by Ammo of Mig.

hb490ac6.jpg

Looks awful just now, but after the 'Cromwell Experiment' I know it will all calm down a lot after a couple of brown filters... I hope :frantic :frantic

Ian.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

So folks after a break of over a year, I've brought the Easy 8 back to the bench:

h5e8d8fd.jpg

h32fbbe7.jpg

The Star Decals sheet (35-C-1048) was a revelation; I've used their decals before and found them a wee bit thick, these are a key-change upward; they went-on like a coat of paint. Simply incredible printing & quality. Prior to decalling I gloss-coated the whole model (Tamiya TS-13 straight from the aerosol can), which like the decals worked exactly as it should.

Over the last few days I've added a dirty-black pin wash and then some scratches and chips... as always at this point I get VERY nervous because they look so horribly overdone - more so because I've sealed them in with another light coat of TS-13.

h6757913.jpg

I know that after a brown filter and an oil-dot wash it will calm-down a lot... still I'm holding my breath a little longer than is good for me !. Going to let it all cure for a day or two, then add that brown filter. It's early summer here so the temps are in the low to mid twenties with low humidity (US = high sixties to low seventies) which is nice and comfortable for working over the Christmas break...

All the best to everyone here at MA, thanks for putting-up with me for another year. More on this build in a few days. Best from NZ.

AFN

Ian.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Sweet!!! :good:

No need to worry Ian the Sherman is looking just as it should at this point...which is Awesome! (y)
If your interested in trying something a bit different check out Michael Rinaldi's Facebook Page. His Oil Paint Rendering (OPR) is a fantastic technique. You will have to scroll through quite a bit to find the Q&A section that he was doing about a year ago...but worthwhile.

or watch these two videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCHVn47E6LA&list=WL&index=6&t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE_9XijaHP8&list=WL&index=4

:v

PS: This is the only reason I have a Facebook account.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Migs' brown (enamel) filter, then oil-dot filter using only Windsor & Newton Raw Umber, Olive Green and White.

h3b317c8.jpg

hb662d3d.jpg

hd36e8d7.jpg

h14a0193.jpg

ha7c2191.jpg

All that sealed-in this morning with Mig satin varnish. Next will be (drum roll) a LOT of stowage. Still going forward but still a fair bit to do. As ever feel free to make suggestions, criticisms or ask any questions.

All the best from NZ

Ian.

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

WOW Super Job on the finish and weathering. Can't wait to see how you pull the stowage together. :popcorn
:v

'Easy 8' (Long build 2)

Thanks folks: So the stowage is mapped-out now, at this moment, I'm about 80% certain this is the final placing.

h70d784c.jpg

h3cd83a2.jpg

h26c9aa1.jpg

h667a253.jpg

h3289325.jpg

h07148a4.jpg

Spent time looking at 'actual' M4's when piled-up with stowage, never seemed to be too much around the turrets, presumably so as not to snag, or generally just get in the way. I'll limit the 'stuff' there to just a couple of rucksacks.

The stowage comes mainly from the Legend 'Fury' set which the guy who sold me the kit simply threw-in for free, also there's some Verlinden, Historex, Tamiya and Italeri bits and pieces. After it's all sprayed in the base colours, I'll add a couple of lead-foil tarps and ropes etc.

Thanks for looking-in and / or commenting. More soon.
:soldier

Ian.

Back