• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Abandoned SdKfz 222 (Now for DAK with Doc)

Heavens Eagle

I am getting a little bit of a late start on this one. I "should" be able to finish this in time if I can keep at it. Hopefully no external issues will kick it aside. I built one of these many years ago and it is a sweet if simple little kit. While the Hobby Boss is a much more detailed kit, this one should do the trick for what I am trying to do.

Here we go.

222-Afrika-001.jpg

222-Afrika-002.jpg

222-Afrika-003.jpg

222-Afrika-004.jpg

222-Afrika-005.jpg

222-Afrika-006.jpg

222-Afrika-007.jpg

I have set the Maus aside for a little while as I am not real comfortable with the camo painting at this point. The building part is no problem, it is the paint work that usually gets to me. That part here should be quite easy. One color all weathered down. It's good. :good:

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Following with interest, thank you for starting this!

Regards,

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Thanks guys! There are apparently very few of these left. A number of replicas have been built by reinactors to use in reinactments but most of them are marginal.

In doing my research on the net I did run across one walk through of a nicely restored 222. The guy was fairly thorough and covered the interior, chassis, exterior quite well with a little bit on the engine.

Here is a link to that site. There appears to be a lot of other walk around postings there including a new one on the Grumman Mallard. Light Tank Reconnaissance Vehicle – Sdkfz.222 – WalkAround

It should be a fun build what with all the PE parts. Last night I cut out the top hull for the PE grill that is around the back half of the turret. I also soldered a brace part to the inner edge of the grill for a little strength. It doesn't quite fit the true hole but as the turret is going to be completely replaced with a PE turret it shouldn't be too much of an issue. (Photos later)

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Here is another update. Moving along fairly well on it so far. As this is the old Tamiya kit I am going to have to do some interior scratch building. It will need the floor, drivers seat, rear bulkhead just in front of the engine and odds and ends on the walls.
For now I am working on the suspension as the wheels are all turned slightly. Most of the steering can be tweaked to do the turned wheels. The part inside of the chassis isn't in view for the most part so I will leave it be for now.

Anyway, I know you would rather see the pictures so here we go.

222-Afrika-008.jpg

222-Afrika-009.jpg

222-Afrika-010.jpg

222-Afrika-011.jpg

222-Afrika-012.jpg

222-Afrika-013.jpg

222-Afrika-014.jpg

222-Afrika-015.jpg

Thanks for looking.
drinking-red-wine.gif

Abandoned SdKfz 222

B) :popcorn
professional job on the soldiering Paul, very impressive. Also nice eye for detail on the wheel joint cups.
Should be a great little build.

Ian
:popcorn

Abandoned SdKfz 222

The fenders and turret are also PE and I am looking forward to building them up. They will need some soldering as well (especially the Turret). The fenders will need some work because the have some rounded corners. The turret has a problem as the parts they tried to make look like welds over etched a little so the sides won't fold for flip as there isn't much there. Looking forward to getting to that part.

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Time for another update. As usual for me I intend to basically build out of the box and then take a side road and really get into it. This build is no exception but it is moving along at a fairly decent rate. All the reference work I have been looking at has also given some good details to correct and add some things that are just missing.

Enough of that here are the photos and they explain it all as usual.

222-Afrika-016.jpg

222-Afrika-017.jpg

222-Afrika-018.jpg

222-Afrika-019.jpg

222-Afrika-020.jpg

222-Afrika-021.jpg

222-Afrika-022.jpg

222-Afrika-023.jpg

222-Afrika-024.jpg

222-Afrika-025.jpg

The biggest problem at this point is going to be adding the firewall with all the odd angles and such in the rear of the compartment. I dredged up a driver seat from a hanomag kit that is plenty close enough for this. I also have a plan to add the surface tread for the floor plates. I think you will like my solution there.

Until next time Cheers!
drinking-red-wine.gif

Back