• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzer III Ausf M

jknaus

Administrator
Okay I am working on a Panzer III Auf M. I'm not sure yet which scheme I will do. The Herman Goering unit in Sicily looks interesting although it is a mono scheme. The other options are all from Kursk. I'll have some pics soon . So far I got the running gear done and started the fenders. I hope to make more progress today. Unfortunately the heat is stifling so computing and modeling are not so comfortable right now added to a hearing issue which is causing some balance issues. This is the kit, Dragons Smart Kit with shields.

h97b744c_2018-08-10.JPG

James

:popcorn ... this must be cool!

Luiz.

Actually a "hot" project. The last few days here have lent a new meaning to "nude modelling" :D
40[sup]o[/sup]C (with humidex) right now with smoke from the fires in BC.

Cheers,
Rich

Despite a fair amount of work there is not too much to see. Things I have added are a weld bead on the lower hull, A handle on the block using .02mm wire, and headlight conduit using 2lb fishing line.. The conduit entrance was drilled out to .03mm. I got over enthusiastic on the recoil housing and sanded off a tab, so I added it with plastic sheet. I'm thinking of using the commander figure from a Panzer crew by Stalingrad and have him dry fitted.

h0bc5254.JPG

h60db15d.JPG

he5934c5.JPG

h31a35b7.JPG

hb0000cf.JPG

h042d9ed.JPG

h9badd04.JPG

I have also been working on a Trumpeter "Porsche " turret King tiger. Because it is one of the first 5 issued there are some mods I have to do. One of them is the early extended exhausts. I have to say I love the zimmerit on these kits. Its a rigid yet flexable thin plastic which is easy to work with and glue on.
hcb09c34.JPG

h29484e8.JPG

hff576f3.JPG

h9051c19.JPG

Finally here are some of the refs I am using. The 2 "On the Battelfield" books are brand new and I got them from Amazon.ca for a reasonable cost.

h24b65a6.JPG

Looks like you are off to a great start James. Those Panzer on the Battlefield books look interesting, I just ordered a couple based on your tip.

They have great photos of the tanks in use. I've got to get the rest eventually I think. This was my first time seeing them and I was quite pleased.
James

They have great photos of the tanks in use. I've got to get the rest eventually I think. This was my first time seeing them and I was quite pleased.
James

That sounds promising, they seem reasonably priced so I will probably be adding more of them as well. Thank you for the info.

Nice job James. I have that same panzer 3 kit that I'll get to someday. :popcorn
Where did you get the resin tiger exhausts?

B) B) cool topic James, gotta love the Mk3's.
I have a few of those titles as well and find them invaluable for detail and inspiration.

:popcorn
Ian.

Nice job James. I have that same panzer 3 kit that I'll get to someday. :popcorn
Where did you get the resin tiger exhausts?

I got them from BNA. The prices aren't bad and shipping is cheaper than from Sprue Brothers. Added to that I can get them in a week Australia to Canada which is pretty nifty.
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-detail-up-parts-voyager-models-pea227?zenid=24908c9c3fd3f00ac1ac6774caa56188
5d06e6ed78e1ef23126c493475a80c1c.image.500x353.jpg

I got this for the pipes and especially for the pot that covers an extending snorkel. The kit is a later model from when they stopped making the extending pipe. Oh and some nice screens from before they made the big standoff screens.
James

Working away at this. The Upper and Aft decks are just dry fit at the moment. I need to paint the engine area primer before I button it up. Found a pic of the conduit so that is done. The Glacis and fenders are glued on. No tools until after the painting.

ha7c4700.JPG

h6dc43e7.JPG

h8050de5.JPG

h9fd66f5.JPG

You probably cant see the wiring conduit but if you look close you might. And a pic that sealed the deal.

Picture found on the net and for discussion purposes only.

h8598986.jpg

Back