• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JS-2 Breakthrough tank...on to Berlin!!!

iambrb

So here is something I am starting that is not part of any group build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

I had said in 2017 that it was my new year's resolution to build this....so i finally bought it. ten in have been it my resolution to actually build it! I have been wanting to do this in like..FOR-EVAR... so I am finally cracking the box to get to it! Note that I have the Aber Barrel, Brass fenders (whoever heard of a JS-2 that got to Berlin with intact fenders?) and tracks too!

h85fa886.JPG

h565f763.JPG

Note that this kit came with link & length tracks too, complete with jigs to get the correct "sag", no sure which i will actually use!

h402e94a.JPG

Nice - what do you think of the master club tracks? I have been thinking of giving them a shot on one of my builds coming up. Whenever I get going again... :blush:

:popcorn

Nice - what do you think of the master club tracks? I have been thinking of giving them a shot on one of my builds coming up. Whenever I get going again... :blush:

Not really sure! seems that when i bought them from Flea-bay, they came from Russia, and i tossed them in the box. After I took these pics, the box is marked (on the back) "Post 1945" ?!?!?!?!????? Not sure what to think of that! I have to do more investigation. Will say this though, they appear to be very well made!

I have been using them more and more and I quite like them. You have to be careful because the resin pin is fragile, but do it right and they hold up as well as Fruils. You can always get brass rod and cut to size instead if you want. I use the drills/files from a dental store. Used in root canals <sp> to line up and also clean the hole.
James

I have been using them more and more and I quite like them. You have to be careful because the resin pin is fragile, but do it right and they hold up as well as Fruils. You can always get brass rod and cut to size instead if you want. I use the drills/files from a dental store. Used in root canals <sp> to line up and also clean the hole.
James

Thanks for the info! I have a set of mini drills and so OK with that, I will check out the brass rod!

With our cat, my best-little-buddy, having finally passed this week, I am understandably not too motivated at the moment, but with a need for some normalcy, I crunched away, and completed one side of the Master-Club tracks.

hb1d6bab.JPG

h4bd6d11.JPG

ha275a7b.JPG

Basic issue between the WW2 and the post-war tracks is that on the post war, EVERY track has guide horns, whereas for the WW2 versions, only every other track has them. Not sure if I am going to use these, or keep them (for another build I have upcoming late-year), and get the Spade Ace tracks for this kit. James, the resin pins are in my opinion too fragile, but once in, assuming they do not break, they look great.

My condolences on your little buddy's passing. It is tough when they go.

I commend you on your attempts at normalcy, I'm trying to maintain that myself. Those tracks do look pretty good. Still, it makes me glad I only build small scale! LOL! :blink :woohoo: :woohoo: :D

Keep plugging man, you can do it.

thanks to all! I just cannot get it outta my head that this is going to be OK, post-war tracks on a 'war' tank. I did a poop-ton of digging, and could only find one out of 50+ pics of JS-2's listed as being in Berlin that had this type track.

So I broke down and ordered a set of Fruils

http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/atl-54-js-1-js-2-js-3-jsu-122-jsu-152-i60/

the Master-club (which I really like, FWIW) will be held for the Egyptian JS-3 I am planning on building late this year/early next.

Thanks to all on the pet condolences. I miss him so much I might have to change my avatar. I have never loved an animal quite so much as that little booger

h8da91dc_2018-06-15.JPG

here are a few more reference pics. I am glad that I am looking these over. I knew that fender damage on the JS-2 was quite common, but had really 'thunked' it to be worse that this. Good info for the brass fenders all the same:

hd72e7bb.jpg

h1c4d1e2.jpg

h185a3ef.jpeg

h17141b5.jpg

hf523c25.jpg

hf545f7b.jpg

Horsing around with the turret, as I await the new tracks. Here I have the Aber barrel test fitted, and have been trying some Mr. Surfacer on the turret to give it a rougher cast shape

h08795a0.JPG

h4b2aee3.JPG

he5e97cb.JPG

Have alot to go on this, still have not added the grab handles or any of that, just taking my time. I feel one of these approaching, not sure how much more I will get on it today:

hf3bd287.JPG

You got this. That last pic is a beauty too.

Thanks man! Only cried once this week, really missing him! The Tamiya kit is well, Tamiya, just really nice. I got some of the lower hull together, and will be moving to it next. Going to make the fenders pretty torn up, not sure what I want to do with the external fuel cylinders, but I want them looking abused as well. The Sov's figured a T-34 only had a lifespan of 6 months max, so they built it, the JS-2 and others cheaply, and abused them hard. I want it to look as though the road to Berlin has been anything but easy, but at the same time, not going too far overboard. this has potential to be my first entry in to a real contest.

Sorry about the loss of your Furry Friend. I know how you feel, especially when they become such a special part of your life. I am a cat person myself and have lost a few over the years and it never gets easier when they are part of the family with their own little personalities. Focusing on your modeling will help keep your mind occupied although it might be difficult to focus at times. Stay strong and know that you have support here on MA.

The model is coming along nicely. I will be watching your progress with interest.

Cheers,
James

Ok, here is the latest. I swear, if this comes out right, I am going to enter it into a contest! I say that, because this is my first extensive use of PE, as you will see, & I am super-nervous about it. First though, the turret with bent wire grab handles added, and the MG too:

h7f4694e.JPG

h4928e01.JPG

h42917a6.JPG

Hard to see are the weld bases at each handle, formed by super glue.

Next the running gear. Tamiya has a neat little jig-thingy (technical term) to aid in getting the wheel shafts at an even height:

h3e37827.JPG

h64f75be.JPG

And lastly, the upper hull in the kit is supplied in two pieces. Here you can see the patient, with initial surgery beginning, and then the end:

h4449d64.JPG

he51d846.JPG

Whoa man, after seeing all that cut away, I realize the work is REALLY ahead of me now! :frantic Am going to stop for the day, as have to go see the FIL, & spend the next several days pondering the consequences of this major surgery.....

You're doing a great job. Many of your other works have been just fine to enter into a contest or show. Don't be so hard on yourself thinking you have to have things just perfect to enter a show. I would suggest an AMPS show as that would be a great way to gain some feedback as the AMPS shows I have attended will provide you with the feedback that the judges have left. Plus, you get judged on your current skills so you can better gauge where you are at and what you need to do to improve. There are several factors that the judges consider when scoring your entries at an AMPS show. One is the skill level you put on the form. With it being your first show, Basic or Intermediate would be appropriate. Basic is usually for the new modeler and I only mention Intermediate because your modeling skills are way beyond basic. Then they consider the kit you built and what you have done to it to make it better (make sure you write down all of the things you have done to enhance the kit). They look at basic modeling skills such as making sure there are no gaps or glue marks, parts are aligned, there are no "floating" road wheels. They then look at the paint job, weathering, and overall presentation of the subject. Based on all of those factors, I think you will do well no matter what models you enter. I would enter several and in various categories if possible so you can get even more feedback.

Just something to ponder...

Cheers,
James

B)
looking good!
It's worth the effort of cutting away the guards on these big boys as they look so much better when ruffed up and stripped down.
Nice turret texture too.
Ian.

Back