• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

fledermaus

Master at Arms
Hi to all, here is my next project, the massive Dora kit. I always wanted one since I saw the add on the pages of finescale modeler, but the price was too high. Then it got even more expensive due to its shipping weight. Finally after 8 years my dream came true, I Got it for $560 including shipping from Germany and Here it is, 35+ pounds of plastic, 3200+ parts including PH and aluminum rails.

I’m a happy modeler
ohU6cJn.jpg

YG38HAM.jpg

gXtMFMd.jpg

Compared to a tiger box
6kOXFTg.jpg

Also have the excellent book by Mr. Taube for reference, the decals from peddinghaus
And the aluminum shells from Mr. Schatton
rT1HJH6.jpg

gMDy9q1.jpg

ToBaiKq.jpg

Here the giant shell compared to a trumpeter figure body
dwsayIC.jpg

6U4S3OP.jpg

Opening the big box you encounter the instruction book and five boxes numbered 2-6.
ygEWRBc.jpg

bszsjmU.jpg

Each box has its number and the information of the bags inside and the parts inside each bag
MIXIBFb.jpg

Here are some of the boxes and its parts, all the boxes are full to the top
hHtkbgW.jpg

And the bag of screws
jD40qLs.jpg

Each bag has all the info on its contents and the box it belongs to
P5EnD4z.jpg

So the work started by fixing one of the mayor problems on the kit, the cars, they did 4
Long cars instead of the 8 smaller cars that Dora had. It will be impossible to turn in a real radius with the cars as they come. So to fix it you have to cut the cars in half ending
With 8 five axle cars, two for each end of the main mount.

Here the sides and top parts of one of the cars ready to be cut
IM6UHJs.jpg

LSNvOGc.jpg

o4b5Mn2.jpg

After all the parts are cut it looks like this
rBiTHXF.jpg

First you cut in the center, then cut again each side to approximate 2-3mm to compensate
For movement.
p98nv2j.jpg

WgNHC6D.jpg

Then I removed what is left of the ring from each half and sanded the area smooth
amA7EtY.jpg

n7n5Dou.jpg

Next is the assembly of the brake system and wheels, its a million parts for this area
All the sprues for the brakes and wheels
meDhuMD.jpg

80 wheels and 40 axles
W7yAWP6.jpg

And all the parts cleaned and ready to install
jGAQhZQ.jpg

That’s all for now as soon as the cars are ready I will post the photos
Thanks for watching
he721067.jpg

Wow, looking forward to this one.

Is it the same ABS kit from years ago or is this different edition?

Hi Aust, it is the same ABS plastic, also found that all the editions (2007-2015) comes with the PH parts and the aluminum rails, not just the ones that says it on the front of the box, as mine is the first edition box from 2007. it is my first model of this kind of plastic and have to tell you I like it, its very easy to sand, very strong and using the right glue (plastic welder) it melts the plastic together in a second.so I have no complains about it.

thanks and stay tuned for more :yipee

Good lluck looks like Avery big under taking ... And you seem to know whatyour doing so I'll just th along ... Love your organisation skills ... Gonna take lots of paint ... :popcorn

:eek:hmy: :drool I'll be :popcorn :popcorn as I'm sure something/someone's gonna go :gogo with all them parts & loose screws :drinks

OMG! Are you serious! :notworthy

I"m going ahead and Sticky this so you can update as often as you can. :soldier

I will be
31.gif
by the time you finish this ginormous undertaking. Here's looking forward to a fine build.

thanks guys, Im working on it daily even if it is only 15 minutes or 2 hours and hope it does not take so long, already have about 12 bottles of modelmasters paint to start. the detail on the parts is very good
think soar art did a good job on the kit, some things need to be corrected on the way but that is part of the fun, just hope not to end :gogo

Oh man. This is one I really really wanted ever since I saw it. Glad I didnt get one as I dont think I could build it, but I'm so envious. And what a killer price also. Cant wait to watch this come together.
James

Well that should eat up some modeling space :woohoo: Congratulations :good:

This is the only way I'll ever see one built, so good luck . I'll keep an eye out for updates :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Well that should eat up some modeling space :woohoo: Congratulations :good:

This is the only way I'll ever see one built, so good luck . I'll keep an eye out for updates :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Time and Space it will consume!! :evil: Almost had one but, didn't have the money for it or a way to go after it.

Hi Aust, it is the same ABS plastic, also found that all the editions (2007-2015) comes with the PH parts and the aluminum rails, not just the ones that says it on the front of the box, as mine is the first edition box from 2007. it is my first model of this kind of plastic and have to tell you I like it, its very easy to sand, very strong and using the right glue (plastic welder) it melts the plastic together in a second.so I have no complains about it.

Cool.

Tamiya started using ABS a few years back too, with certain parts in their 1/16 RC kits. Threw me for a loop at first, since most was styrene and the color and sprue structure of the ABS was exactly the same. I only noticed when unclamping after gluing with Testors blue, they just fell apart. :unsure:

It's a good move on the Dora, ABS is a lot stronger than styrene.

Tamiya Extra Thin, Tenax or any of the MEK based cements, PlastiWeld too like you're using will work like a charm, just be careful with the fumes, use some sort of ventilation and watch the flammabilty of the stuff. There's a reason why you can't buy MEK anymore, just MEK substitutes (that don't work as cement), it's pretty noxious stuff.

I've only seen one of these built, at AMPs when it first was released. Knowing the dimensions really doesn't prepare you for the sheer bulk of the model when assembled. It's impressive, can't wait to follow along. I can't even work up the nerve to build the HB 1/72 version. :D

Cool.

Tamiya started using ABS a few years back too, with certain parts in their 1/16 RC kits. Threw me for a loop at first, since most was styrene and the color and sprue structure of the ABS was exactly the same. I only noticed when unclamping after gluing with Testors blue, they just fell apart. :unsure:

It's a good move on the Dora, ABS is a lot stronger than styrene.

Tamiya Extra Thin, Tenax or any of the MEK based cements, PlastiWeld too like you're using will work like a charm, just be careful with the fumes, use some sort of ventilation and watch the flammabilty of the stuff. There's a reason why you can't buy MEK anymore, just MEK substitutes (that don't work as cement), it's pretty noxious stuff.

I've only seen one of these built, at AMPs when it first was released. Knowing the dimensions really doesn't prepare you for the sheer bulk of the model when assembled. It's impressive, can't wait to follow along. I can't even work up the nerve to build the HB 1/72 version. :D

As explained by the USAF , MEK can and will ruin your liver . Even by contacting your skin . It is absorbed straight through the skin and you know where it's going from there.

Cheers, Christian B)

As explained by the USAF , MEK can and will ruin your liver . Even by contacting your skin . It is absorbed straight through the skin and you know where it's going from there.

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep, same with Toulene (sp?), that was in the old orange label Testors. Anything that evaporates as fast as MEK in general is pretty volatile and the liver is the first defense.

My central nervous system suffered greatly from use of glues, epoxies, resins and solvents while I was a kid, all in unventilated bedroom space. These days, I use an exhaust system with anything after hand brushing Vallejo MA. If I even use the non-toxic Testors blue without venting, I'll lose sensation in my legs.

Very nice!! I'm hoping I might pick one of these up later this year. A member of my model club has one that I've agreed to buy. Just have to get the money together.

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep, same with Toulene (sp?), that was in the old orange label Testors. Anything that evaporates as fast as MEK in general is pretty volatile and the liver is the first defense.

My central nervous system suffered greatly from use of glues, epoxies, resins and solvents while I was a kid, all in unventilated bedroom space. These days, I use an exhaust system with anything after hand brushing Vallejo MA. If I even use the non-toxic Testors blue without venting, I'll lose sensation in my legs.

I have read that the most dangerous aspect of the Vallejo is heavy metal ( wash your hands ) but I would still recommend a good mask if spraying anything. Use ventilation of course. B)

Cheers, Christian B)

Back