• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Groundwork Class with Anthony Reeves

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Treemendus Ground Work Class

don't know why this post is blank, don't remember what I said way back when but here we are.

Re:Treemendus Ground Work Class

I'll be following along since my one and only attempt at a diorama was ......not good :pinch: :pinch:

Tom

Re:Treemendus Ground Work Class

This is just a side job...
piliot.gif

Thanks for the intro Bob.

We should be ready to start this in a week or so when you and Tom have received your orders. If anybody else would like to follow along using the materials they have then that would be great. I would suggest a base size of up to approxomately A4, an old picture frame would be perfect for this. Of course you can make it as large as you wish, the same tecniques apply. For this exercise I am going to try an copy the scene pretty much as it is but the same principles apply if you want to create something to show a vehicle on, a lane or forest edge for example.

We will start with the basic ground cover/texture (leaving a place for the chimney stack) then add some foliage, grass tufts and weeds etc. Next will come the trees, again we can either make lots of small saplings or a couple of more substatial trees - or both, let me know what you prefer. Then we can concentrate on the chimney stack itself, again if you would rather you can adapt the same tecniques into making a wall etc. finally we will go over the groundwork again adding little details, twigs, branches, dead leaves etc and blending all the elements together.

Iv'e never done an online tutorial before so this is new ground for me too. If there is anything iv'e overlooked please let me know.

Ant

Hey Ant,

Looks like you will have your hands full as well! I will enjoy watching this one being created!

Bob

Sorry about the delay on our groundwork project but I have now found time to start. The base I have chosen to use is 13.5" x 12"(350mm x 300mm approx). I am using a celing tile as my base because it is lightweight and very easy to carve. I have cut a small area out and filled it with a piece of 3mm thick card,which is removable, this is so I can work on the brick/stone work away from the dio and drop it in place at a later date.

The ground looks to be pretty flat from the photos so don't worry if you intend to work on a solid base as the groundwork scatters and vegatation etc will add some varying height to the "floor". The reason for the grid drawn onto the base is to find the "natural" places to put the focal points on the dio. If this were going to be a design for a Japanese garden for instance you would place a lantern or group of rocks where the lines cross. This principle can be applied to our dio's.

2010_0328lakevrnwy0010.jpg

2010_0328lakevrnwy0014.jpg

Next we will prepare our "Grass/weeds". For this dio I suggest you use between 1/3 - 1/2 of your Raw Grass sheet.

Take the Raw Grass.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0035.jpg

Brush it so the fibers stand upright.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0025.jpg

I tend to use poster paint and watercolours to colour my fabric but you can also use diluted oil based paint.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0037.jpg

Rub the paint right in to the fabric by hand (glove optional) :blush: You will use more paint than is on the photo below.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0038.jpg

2010_0326lakevrnwy0039.jpg

Keep rubbing so as to disperse the paint throughout the fibers. At this point it is also useful to add some tones of yellow, browns and differing shades of green to add some variation to the sheet, It doesn't matter where, think of this sheet as a palette which you will trim the weeds from.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0041.jpg

Next comb the sheet so all the fibers lie the same way.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0044.jpg

Simply shake the sheet (as if you were cracking a whip) and the material should stand upright and look something like this.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0045.jpg

When the paint has dried comb it again and you will be left with a sheet of fine grass/weeds which has a range of colours/tones.

2010_0326lakevrnwy0049.jpg

The above doesn't have to be done at this stage but it is worth doing now as you will now have your "tufts" to hand when you need them.

Any questions at all then please ask.

Next we will start to cover our bases with a good covering of Earth powder and Scree etc

Great, I have this blue foam insulation board that is very lightweight and 3/4 of an inch thick. I'm not sure how strong it is, will there be more support added later?

Lots of construction material laying about right now. I know I can find something to work. I'll have my base up this weekend at the latest.

If it's the same insulation board I sometimes use then it will be strong enough on it's own. The whole thing will be covered in glue etc eventually this will strenghthen it too. The only other addition may be a frame around the whole thing but that's more cosmetic than anything else.

I posted to quickly, didn't see your grass treatment. I tell ya, that stuff freaked me out when I pulled it out of the package. What is that stuff?

Alright! I've got to do a little shopping after work for a few supplies and will be getting on it afterwards.

Tom

moon puppy wrote:
I posted to quickly, didn't see your grass treatment. I tell ya, that stuff freaked me out when I pulled it out of the package. What is that stuff?

The Raw Grass is a kind of fur fabric, the sort of thing you would make toys from.

Interesting techinique Ant... When I saw the glove a green oozy paint about to be applied, I was all "OH #$@* NO!!" but the ensuing method has resulted in some nice tones and set me at ease ;) . Good stuff...
Brad :side:

Thanks Brad

Yeah it does look alarmingly bright but once it is well spread out and dabs of other colour added it does look very effective. It's a very simple method of getting the exact colour grasses you need, from straw to dirty brown.

Cheers

Sorry for my homework being late. I still have no power in my garage. Too hot to work down there, and too dark. Soon as power is restored this is the first thing I'm working on! I'll get a note from my Bride if it gets me out of trouble.

Ok, no more excuses. Chores are done, dogs are fed and I have asked my Bride what we are doing today three times to get the same "nuffin" so I'm heading to the garage with my assignment in hand. Expect update later... :mpup

homework01_20100801_1799351734.jpg

Well it's a start. I didn't remember if the lines needed to be uniform. I can come back with red marker if so.

I am looking for some green paint that will work with this, should have some in hand this week. Thought I had some but it was dried out.

What about Tom?? :woohoo:

Back