• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simple corrugated iron effect

As part of my "Duel In The Sun" GB I have built a corrugated iron barn. The effect is simple to achieve and is open to experimentation.

Take some corrugated card. Mine is flat on one side. This was glued to the structure and allowed to dry.
HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN041.jpg

Next take some ordinary household aluminium foil and spray the shiny side with an aerosol adhesive.
HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN099.jpg

This can be applied in small pieces as the overlap is barely visible. The edges can be folded over to give the impression of overlapping separate sheets of iron. This is then stuck directly onto the card.
HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN097.jpg

Work the foil into the contours of the card with a soft sponge and a cotton bud.
HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN100.jpg

Next add rust etc using rust powders and paints.
HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN106.jpg

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN118.jpg

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN115.jpg

The foil can be scratched and raised to give the impression of lifting paint/rust etc. This process would also work on flat sheets of card to produce "sheet metal". I hope this is of some use to you.

Thanks

Your tutorial is great Treemendus, stunning effect on the rusted metal, can you explain the procedure? :woohoo:

Thanks very much. It really is quite a simple effect to achieve. I will put a short SBS together showing how I painted it as soon as I can.

Ant

OK here we go. Iv'e used the same method as above to create a piece of corrugated iron.

2010_0104lakevrnwy0006.jpg

The three paints I used were MIG Standard rust effects, MIG Light rust pigment and a Revell enamel paint

2010_0104lakevrnwy0008.jpg

First take the MIG Standard rust effects and paint the whole sheet. Try not to make this too uniform.

2010_0104lakevrnwy0010.jpg

Next add some MIG Light rust pigment, again not all over, only where you want the heavier rust to be. With your finger or a cloth gently wipe over some of the sheet. This will remove some of the paint to reveal the shiny metal underneath. The more you remove the newer the sheet will look.

2010_0104lakevrnwy0014.jpg

Below/around any small creases or in areas where you might expect to find the heaviest rust dab tiny amounts of rust coloured enamal paint.

2010_0104lakevrnwy0018.jpg

In position over the entrance of the house. The whole thing will be weathered further later. This will knock back some of the colour and add more realism. This house will go on the same dio as the barn above. The corrugated sheet over the door should tie both elements together visually.

2010_0104lakevrnwy0026.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ant

I was lucky enough to see this and the complete dio at the Moorlands model show a couple of weeks ago it is superb the detail is awsome and as you would expect the groundwork is fantastic :woohoo:

That looks fantastic Ant. I like the realism and added detail that it gives a diorama.
I will have to give it a try and see if it is easier than my current method which is to use a scrapbooking embossing template I bought a few years back for military modelling unrelated purposes. It is perfect for small touches of corrugated iron but after a while of dry embossing cut sections of cola cans one's hand and arm begins to want to fall off.

Back