• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stalingrad`s 44-45 German POW SBS/Review

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Hello all,..

Sadly neglected this particular section of the Alliance for a while but starting next week

I shall be doing a SBS review of

Stalingrad`s 1/35 rendition of a POW 1944-45

Heres the figure that has so very kindly been given to me to reveiw,...

3530-1.jpg

Thank you, James Knaus

Heres some more pics taken directly from the Stalingrad website,..Im using them because they are far better pictures that I could reproduce with my camera and gives a good idea of what they are all about,..

3530-s11.jpg

3530-s12.jpg

The soldier is depicted wearing the 1943 patterned tunic, (noticable by the unpleated tunic pockets ), trousers,ankle boots and gaiters
it was at this time that the German Army ( Heer )transgressed from quite smartly dressed combatants to shabbily dressed soldiers as stocks of materials began to deplete and cut backs took hold

As you can see from the pics it`s quite nicely molded and comes in a grey resin, on my figure there`s some flash/mold lines that will have to be got rid of during the clean up process

As for the kit itself it comes in a nice compact smallish colour printed box and the kit comes in 4 seperate parts
Figure, head with cap, arms, and equipment,..each attached to a nice chunk of resin

So what do I think of it so far,....

I love the creases in the trousers they are quite wonderful,..theres a few buttons on the tunic that may have to go and be replaced because of casting
I am not too sure about the location of the upper pockets I think they are a bit further up and also doubt the location of the breast eagle that looks too low as well I shall have to look at some better pictures of the tunic than I already have,..
The head is quite nice although those figures heads seen on both Stalingrad and Tank are quite samesy the only criticism about the head is that the nostrils were not done too well and it makes the nose look a bit piggy.
I love the boots as they look worn out
So even though the posture of the figure could be classed as a bit boring I think hes alright and can be very happily planted into a solo scene trotting of the a POW somewhere glancing sideways at something of interest which I will probably end up doing for the purpose of this SBS

Onwards :D

Clean up update

I got rid of some of the casting imperfections by dabbing a bit of correction fluid wiping that with alcohol then sanded when dry the fluid fills those nasty little holes

head was cut from the cast block then the neck was carved down because it didn't fit very well, I then did some cleaning of the tunic collar and neck so I could achieve a good fit

I fitted this to the figure with some yellow tac

I also began scribing some of the seam lines and pocket flaps on the tunic as a guide to when I put on my shadow black paint but more of that in later updates

Arms were cut from the cast block but will need some tender love and care as they are cast along the seam of the sleeve,...I don't know why some manufacturers do this as it makes clean up much harder.

Anyway heres some pics of progress so far,..( actually not a lot really ) :D

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

As you can see from the head pic I really do believe that the breast pockets are too low I drew a small line to where I think they should be after studying a few pics online and in my books

Still that doesn't matter really I still think this a lovely figure

Ok no pictures as yet but now the guy has been cleaned up pitted areas have been puttied up and sanded down and now time for a clean in warm water and some soap or wash up liquid to get rid of the greasy finger prints due to handling

Next up when the figure in completely dry all the creases and shadowed areas will be given a thin coat of black to bring out details

Note I will not be using black on the face but I will be using Vallejo Burnt Cadmium Red 70814

Usually I would paint the face/head separately but cos this is a SBS I will be doing it already fixed to the torso as Im aiming towards getting people who dont usually do figures to erm do figures if that makes sense

Fire any questions you may have along the way,...and also cos my way is one of many thousands of ways to do it if you have any tips yourself then please throw them into the mix

Da Bears !

Hi Andy,

Some questions:

You dont use a primer ?

Can you tell us more about the wash, not just the results but exactly how ?
What pencil, thickness etc.

Thanks ahead, Willem

Hi Willem,..

I do use a primer if there`s any photoetch but usually for this type of resin I dont as Vallejo covers quite well if you use thin coats and build it up.

However saying that you must use whatever you feel comfortable with and if you like using a primer then thats the way for you to go

This wont be a wash, I use this to outline things like seams of tunics and trousers this will be quite thin lines but I use broad ones like under the arms and between the legs and round the back of the equipment
This does 2 things it shows me where the shadows are and also its like a cheat that if you cant get your small brush down the back of say the water bottle, mess tin and breadbag then it will be black instead of bare resin and therefor wont look horrible :v

I shall explain a bit better when I do some pics to run along side with what im doing which hopefully will be tonight

Update

Ok here we are

IMG_0858.JPG

Figure all cleaned up
IMG_0860.JPG

Heres the initial stage of outlining

IMG_0861.JPG

Heres the very first basecoating of the face the colour was gained by mixing equal parts of 341 Flesh base + 70814 Burnt Cad Red
The face was given 3 light coats to get this result then outlining was done with pure BCR

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

Back