• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"FLYING FLEA" - 1/9th British Airborne Motorcycle

alex wence de leon

Master at Arms
First of all, Congratulations on the formation and look of Modelers Alliance.
Second, I am very happy to continue my contributions to 'Masters Classes' within Modelers Alliance.
Third, Please let me share some photos and thoughts on my "Flying Flea" build here in Modelers Alliance.
Thank you and on with the show...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Royal Enfield WD/RE 125cc British Airborne Motorcycle.
the "FLYING FLEA"
1/9th scale scratch-build.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An excellent reference photograph and motivating tool that got me started on the project build.
This is a famous, much published photo that has been going around for many years.
As seen here, the bike can be appreciated for it's light-weight & practical abilities, be them airborne or ground dispatch.
The Motorcycle weighed some 62kg (approximately 137 lbs) and if gotten stuck in the mud, the driver could simply pick it up and carry it away.

maliance01.jpg

Finished "Flying Flea" on display with British Airborne Shoulder Patch/Flash & Jump-Wings.

maliance02.jpg

In-Progress photo with bike assembled before paint finish and weathering.

maliance03.jpg

Low-angle view of finished build to compare with previous in-progress view.

maliance04.jpg

"Time capsule" photo of build in-progress on work bench.

maliance05.jpg

Photo of actual 125cc motor and transmission in the motorcycle chassis.
Good detail and color reference to be applied for build.

maliance06.jpg

In-Progress close-up of scratch-built engine assembly mounted to bike frame.
Bike frame fabricated from styrene. Tires are resin castings converted to narrow profile.
Fenders and gas tank are designed from highly converted offerings from a large scale Triumph motorcycle kit.

maliance07.jpg

Mid-section finished out with cammo green, metal finish & weathering.

maliance08.jpg

Rear 3/4 high angle view of 'primary drive' side of motorcycle.
Photo-Etch links and rollers were glued together for drive chain.

maliance09.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Published in the April 2010, Volume 14 Number 6 of Military Modelcraft International magazine.

maliance10.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Title page with a high-angle photo show excellent detail of motorcycle and groundwork.
Also included a little 'profile' photo with my white beard.

maliance11.jpg

"Metal count" since October, 2009, with "flying flea" being displayed at, Austin AMPS show, CALMEX IPMS SWAMP show,
AMPS NATS show & Chicago Figure Show.

maliance12.jpg

This recent build has done well in the model show circuit & also published within one year of being finished.
I believe it has plenty life to continue the show circuit with one more published article in the works.

Thank you looking and letting me share my recent scratch-built "FLYING FLEA" here on Modelers Alliance.
alex wence de leon, south Texas, USA

Now that is way cool. Interesting bike and the pictures of your work are worth a thousand words to be sure. (y) (y) (y)

Thanks for posting this.

James

I really love your stuff Alex, and the presentation is very, very nice as well.

Congrats on the accolades, they are well deserved.

:peace

Alex no one builds a bike like you do. Great Job!!

Terry B)

I have heard of these but have never seen one, not that I am aware of anyway- i cant even stretch sprue with a candle! And your bending it like a blacksmith. True talent. Thanks CR

Back