• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/9th Ariel W/NG Brit. Motorcycle (scratch-built)

alex wence de leon

Master at Arms
1/9th scale Ariel W/NG 350cc British Military Motorcycle.
A (sort-of) SBS of the planning, engineering & fabrication from start to finish.

THIS MASTER CLASS WILL BE UPDATED FROM TIME TO TIME.

Todays entry begins with the Research involved, Good Side Profile Photos.

Research cannot be emphasize any more than, research, research, research, study, read, compare, measure, ask questions, more research, more studying, more reading, more comparing, more looking up on the internet, google image search, yahoo image search, find books related to the subject, visit a museum that might have the subject on display and politely ask if photography is permitted. Try not to leave any 'rock unturned'.

Here are some images found on the Subject: Ariel W/NG British Motorcycle. Most found on the internet, some found in technical manuals and at a museum.

THIS IS THE START of the Ariel motorcycle build with in-progress and finish photos to follow.

This is an excellent "profile" side image of the Ariel motorcycle compared to the Triumph below the Ariel.

A left side or 'primary' profile side of the Ariel.
With this, a good wheel-base (axel to axel) measurement/dimension can be achieved after finding a reference in all the research done beforehand.
In the case of the Ariel W/NG: Wheelbase 1393 mm / 55 inches.
Another reference: 19 inch front and rear wheels/tires.
Seat hight: 724 mm / 28.5 inches.
Ground clearance: 127 mm / 5 inches.
This is a great start to a great build.

An image of the Ariel Red Hunter taken from a technical manuel.
Yes, a civilian model, but most Military Motorcycles are based on civilian equivalents.
Yes, there are some details different, such as the later 'plunger' rear suspension and hydraulic front forks.
Not to be bothered, there is plenty of other detail to soak-up and digest, ready to be rendered in miniature.

An image of the Ariel Red Hunter fitted out for racing.
This is a good study of the Ariel chopped, less parts.
'Inside' details show up here and ready for the taking.

A photo taken from a private collector of the Ariel military version.
An almost 3/4 view that helps with finding out the 'depth' or width measurements of the bike.
Some good color reference on painted & non-painted parts. Keep this in mind in the paint and finish of the build.

thank you and see you soon.
alex wence de leon

Looking forward to this. Will be interesting to see the techniques you use.
James

Thanks James, and like you, also looking forward to this. I have one more installment of reference photos, then start getting into cutting and gluing styrene. Explaining the Scratch-building "techniques" used, going along SBS (sort-of).

alex wence de leon

I generally order the "Blue Plate" Alex but whatever you're serving I'll take it. I've really enjoyed seeing your work on the Facebook but with all the noise there it's hard to follow each update.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

I generally order the "Blue Plate" Alex but whatever you're serving I'll take it. I've really enjoyed seeing your work on the Facebook but with all the noise there it's hard to follow each update.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

moon puppy,

Sounds like you have exceptionally good taste and hope I can live up to that. Now, I can not make any promises or guarantees, as I learned that in my 21 year career in Federal Law Enforcement. What has always worked for me and made 'management' happy was do my job to the best of my ability then go home after shift (alive in one piece) to the family.

Thank you for viewing and appreciating my miniature work on the FB site. I also agree with you about the "noise" & "hard to follow", but as you and many other "friends" can see, I keep the noise down (on my page) and am having the 'time of my life' sharing my miniature art work to some of the 500 million members. I honestly can not complain about that, but as I said on the Tanks & Things FB fan page: "...time to spread my wings, test the thermal updrafts and do some soaring..."
and here I am.

thanks,
alex wence

1/9th Ariel Bike scratch-build update 11/02/10

UPDATED November 02, 2010.

Back from a 3 week road trip to Chicago, Saint Louis & Dallas, ready to continue this saga.

Here are some excellent Close-up reference photos to build self confidence and help with the fabrication of the Ariel military motorcycle.

A great close-up of the 350cc (cam cover side) Ariel Red Hunter engine by Daniel Peirce.
Although this is a civilian version, here is good detail of engine top-end, lower-end, push-rods, Rocker boxes, oil lines, cam cover & carburetor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A great 3/4 top view (Royal Navy version) showing fender rib detail, front fork counter spring, headlight assembly, left handlebar controls & thickness of primary drive cover.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good detail of exhaust pipe, cam cover thickness, front fork tension star, brake line mount & tank badge placement.

Very nice drawing of the girder type front fork suspension. Excellent reference of fork length, width & rake. The fender placement and fender struts help in the fabrication.

A good rendering of the "Berman" type gear box/transmission from the technical manual. Necessary detail of bolt placement, mounting strut, drain plug, etc.

Primary Drive Side details.

A good collection and review of close-up details of the Ariel motorcycle.
There are many more, but this give a good idea what can be expected in a successful scratch-build.

NEXT TIME, cut some styrene and begin the build.

thanks for looking,
alex wence

Back