• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italery stug IV resurrection

fledermaus

Master at Arms
Hi to all!!;)
This is a model I did back in 2007, it was posted in other forums back then. It was destined for a diorama using the Tamiya famo w/trailer. As you all know it is the old italery stug IV. I wanted to do a disabled tank, it’s going to have some damage on it. I’m using the Edward PE kit and also the lion roar PE kit for the dragon stug. Added the front end details using a resin copy of the verlinden panzer IV interior, transmission details and some scratch building. The transmission cover has being opened so the details can be seeing. Please excuse the quality of the first photos, the camera I was using was a cheap piece of s…t and the close up photos are not good. So here we go……
DtI5kd4.jpg

The transmission and other details are installed, the front plate access where removed.
The pedals and linkages are made and installed.

gKhlvJ7.jpg

Ae4GC32.jpg

HtjdaVB.jpg

A view from the interior…
Y1H4aRu.jpg

Here I already installed the driver periscopes covers combining Edward’s and lions parts
1lehLwT.jpg

ApPIn7E.jpg

UOjJsKh.jpg

Added some hoses and cables and a partial styrene floor behind the driver to simulate the gas tanks area. all the hatches are going to be closed so just the front access door are open and the view is limited to what can be seen looking through the front.
uvgRjxo.jpg

VESBF6N.jpg

0qorscL.jpg

More coming soon…..thanks for looking

Abdin

Italery stug III resurrection

Well here is another update, added the small hand wheels to the brake drums, I used copies made from the brake drums from the panzer IV interior set from tank workshop. Cut and sanded each and glued in place. Then all the interior was painted using testors enamels, the transmission parts where painted a green-gray mixture then weathered with Enamels and weathering powders from.

pQuKMVR.jpg

e8f8qUu.jpg

hpmyDwl.jpg

A view from the rear of the interior
M5MSnoE.jpg

Here the muck up of the fuel tanks can be seen...
peN20MH.jpg

1nktfT6.jpg

Next came the excellent PE copula from the lion roar set, very complex also... patience is the key
eP2tF1s.jpg

z0WHjc0.jpg

0lvZ4OD.jpg

Next came the hatch door... this is the hinge for the small door on the hatch, talk about tiny
KcZ6ldA.jpg

JTgOelY.jpg

WgH9XDb.jpg

Here are some shots of the completed hatch
HDrcftf.jpg

Ky0yxAx.jpg

C40jnxd.jpg

That’s all for today, thanks for looking.
Abdin

Looks really good so far. Holy small parts, Batman! That hinge is really tiny and you did an excellent job with it. Outstanding.

Cheers,
James

And yet another update, again please excuse the quality of the photos

Here I stared to assemble the nice fenders; the fit is very good considering they are for the dragon stug model.
oHXMU0r.jpg

The tiny rear fender flap hinges, this are the same size as the one on the copula
V7SpWOx.jpg

The rear flap
GrvDsdv.jpg

M3E8srU.jpg

The front fender flap is installed
5WoNcus.jpg

T2i7Yjf.jpg

GiPMhBP.jpg

Here you can see the working feature
DPKtph0.jpg

A view under the fender rear area, lots of glue here...:rolleyes:
d27MCkE.jpg

And the completed fender
RfczY8M.jpg

Under the completed fender, lots of CA glue used to secure it to the hull
6Zh2AoC.jpg

Next the left side with the addition of the battle damage, it is a direct hit to the track on the sprocket damaging the surrounding area.
AZZoyJA.jpg

4j5eTEK.jpg

That’s for now, thanks for looking, more coming soon.
Abdin

Thanks guys, here is some more...

A fellow modeler pointed out that the driver roof should be sloped down, I researched in my reference and found he was right, so began a two hour emergency surgery on the driver Roof, first I doubted about doing that modification at this stage of the build but then thought about it and decided it was now or never. So here is the story…

This are the drawings from the excellent Spielberger book on the stugs, the slope can be appreciated here
we6RUHZ.jpg

g836baL.jpg

I began by cutting the front plate by its seam
oKJ2u53.jpg

LCnGMj4.jpg

9tZErpP.jpg

ukVTvuc.jpg

Here the front plate was removed
RUzwSdf.jpg

I began cutting on the sides of the roof to the back
mCuZR9P.jpg

mSaI9H4.jpg

Then the top at the rear
kN2I0op.jpg

And there goes the roof; the periscopes are still attached as I couldn’t remove it without damaging it
Because of the strong bond of the glue.
EJJUuAz.jpg

Now I proceeded to mark the inclination and began cutting the walls
dT8AsDz.jpg

After some cutting and sanding the new angle was right
Wp6Zxbm.jpg

I glued a strip of styrene to the back of the roof to compensate for the lost length while cutting it.
8fzjKV1.jpg

A dry fit to make sure all aligns right…
bxwj790.jpg

Here the roof is glued and as you can see there is almost no filling required, nice!
of79Ylh.jpg

Finally the front plate is installed after some trimming and sanding of the bottom part to make it level
With the new angle of the roof.
kNprFw1.jpg

This was a terrifying process at the beginning because of all the PE parts already installed witch make it difficult to work around without breaking a piece here and there, now I can return to work with the frames for the armor skirts. Thanks for looking!
Abdin

Excellent correction Abdin!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

One of those "you can't UNsee it" faaults that drive you nuts. I have the same problem so can sympathize.

Back